Sunday, April 5, 2009

Ethics

I thought the memo about the Holocaust that was presented in class was disturbing.  I was shocked to find out that the memo was actually talking about children.  It was a good example to show in class though because it demonstrates how language can be used to dehumanize a situation when it is unethical.   The memo used words such as merchandise and pieces to refer to the children, and it opened my eyes to the power of words and how they can be used to mask unethical decisions. 

I have strong ethical beliefs and values, and I plan to stick to those beliefs when I am in the workplace or graduate school.  Peoples' lives mean more to me than making money, and I would never make an unethical decision that would harm someone else in any way just to make money. Integrity and doing what is right is extremely important to me.  If at any point during my career I am pressured to make an unethical decision just to stay in school or to keep a job, then I would just leave.  To me, a certain job or career, regardless of its prestige, is not worth compromising my convictions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment