Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cover Letter

After reading the advise from collegegrad.com, I feel like I have a better understanding of how to write a cover letter.  I agreed with most of the advise that was given such as tailoring the letter to match the company, not sending out mass cover letters, and not addressing it "To Whom it May Concern."  However, I did not agree with writing a P.S. at the end.  I think that would make the letter seem unprofessional.  If I were hiring and received a cover letter that had a P.S. , handwritten or not, I would think that person did not really care about the job and did not spend a lot of time or put a lot of thought into writing the letter.  They forgot to say something in the letter, and instead of revising the letter they just added a note to the end.  That would not go over well with me, so I think that was bad advise. 

  "The Reality of Cover Letters" and "The Best Use of a Cover Letter" were the most helpful sections to me.  I didn't realize that cover letters were read after the resume and that most of them didn't get read at all unless the company was really interested in you.  I also learned that the cover letter is more about the company  than yourself, and it should address the benefits that you will bring them.  I am going to take all of this advise into consideration when writing my cover letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment